Our unique Drone Olympic events introduce 7th and 8th-grade students at Jewish day schools and yeshivot to the exciting science of drone flight!
At each event, participants analyze an obstacle course and program a drone to autonomously complete the course. It requires developing solutions to real-world problems through teamwork. Students go through the process of evaluating solutions for safety and reliability as well as improving a product through multiple iterations.
Students use DroneBlocks to understand:
- That force acts on an object and includes strength and direction, causing movement.
- That objects that appear to not be moving have multiple forces creating a net zero force.
- The basic concepts of controlled flight.
- The concept of compounding error and error in measurements.
- Basic logic and syntax used in program coding.
Each middle school event includes:
- Videos showcasing the uses of drones in Science and Engineering.
- Presentation describing the fundamentals of drone flight.
- Tutorial in coding drones using the DroneBlocks software.
- Obstacle course measurements and surveys for maximum efficiency.